It is “Connected Educator” month and I have connected with no one except my students and their parents.
It is the second year of Common Core implementation and I have worked harder than any of my previous 20 plus years of teaching.
But… the work is exciting and quite fulfilling. I finally can answer the question, “Why are we learning this?”
But… as in anything new the journey carries challenges. For me this has been,
- Demonstrating and expecting students to back up a claim with text evidence.
- Demonstrating and expecting students to make connections between people, events, and ideas in text.
- Demonstrating and expecting students to determine central ideas and themes.
- Helping students to understand this is new and success doesn’t happen on the first try.
- Helping parents to understand this is new and success doesn’t happen on the first try.
It takes time, it is worth it, we will succeed. I believe.